19 12
Print

Jack Wong talks MX...

good

After almost two months of silence, Jack Wong is back!  This time he's in full philosophy mode:

我在静心参与基于android4.0上的UE/UI。我将和梦想同在,和魅族魅友同在,谢谢大家。

I would translate as:

I've been contentedly involved with the Android 4.0 interface, (but no matter my silence) I will be one with the MX and Meizu fans.  Thanks everyone.

So, it seems JW has been deeply and happily working with the new Android 4.0 update coming next year and -in the spirit of Daoism- it seems his thoughts and feeling have become one with the MX and with all the Meizu fans.  Truly, JW is the Laozi of Meizu.

...or, as one fan suggested after reading JW's reply, maybe he drank too much

[ Last edited by chengdude at 2011-12-3 05:42 ]

We are waiting for MX and its overseas plan
My, your, is, minute and zero

Yesterday 12/15, Jack Wong broke his self-imposed silence again with an answer to all those who have been asking about the difference between the Hong Kong and Domestic versions of the MX.  Specifically, fans have zeroed in on the issue of the unlocked ROM on the Hong Kong version.  

JW explained:

因为目前我们对港澳和国外用户需求体验无把握,所以才不锁定。请谅解,感谢。

I would translate the essential idea as:

Because at the moment our experience isn't sufficient to completely understand the requirements of buyers in Hong Kong, Macao, and other markets, we will offer the MX unlocked in those regions.  Thank you very much for your understanding .

So, in essence, JW is saying that offering root access on the global edition of the MX is the safest bet to appeal to new Meizu buyers outside the company's stronghold in the PRC.

I'd say that's a good bet.

Merry Christmas from JW!

Well, not exactly.    

Today (12/25) Jack Wong replied to a concerned MX buyer who placed an order in Hong Kong.  Will the warranty still be valid on the Mainland if purchased in HK?

JW had this to say:

不会用保修服务作限制设卡的,只会限制单人购机的数量。

which, according to my terrible Chinese, seems to mean:

There won't be any restrictions based on the (origin of) warranty card; the only restrictions will be (based on) the number of (MX) purchases by a single buyer.

So I guess that means that HK buyers will be eligible for service on the Mainland, but individuals who purchase multiple MX phones (presumably to resell) will have trouble.  Seems, then, that warranties issued at the time of purchase are non-transferable??

Any clarifications to that interpretation welcome

Wow!  After sporadic postings over the last few months, Jack Wong unleashes an avalanche of replies on the BBS...8 in just the last two days!  

So let's see what we have:

First, yesterday (12/26) we had a fan asking JW how the 4.0 update was coming along.  We got this in reply:

进展顺利,谢谢

Progress has been smooth...thanks

Then today (12/27) we get a hint that the Android 4.0 update coming next year is going to be comprehensive:

当然,基于4.0的ui变化很大的。

Of course, because of the large number of changes in the 4.0 UI.

Then, JW answered the Big One...when will we see the quad-core MX?  Yesterday 12/26 he said:

嗯,4核大概要明年5月

The quad-core will most likely need until May, 2012

Today, January 4th, Jack Wong appeared again on the China BBS after a week-long absence.  Perhaps with the passing of another New Year and the release of the MX after another long product development cycle, he has once again become the philosophical and reflective JW.  A fan left an open letter on the BBS wondering about JW's long periods of absence from the forum...and yes, missing him.  That apparently caught JW's attention:

我有常常上论坛看看,很多时候只是没有发言。有时也浏览一下IT通讯资讯,比如刚才看了一些文章(查看)心情就很不好,一些媒体和人基本没有良心没有道德,颠倒黑白,肆意地对我人格侮辱。

我目前几乎不出家门,除2~3个月出去剪一次头发以外。忙碌了这么多年心累,想静一静。
有时觉得虽然天大地大但这个社会容不下我。

Translation:

I often look through the forums, many times simply not saying anything.  I also sometimes browse through IT reports, for example just now I was looking over a number of articles and my mood is not very good.  Some media and people basically have no conscience or morals, twist the facts, and recklessly insult our character.

These days, I almost never go out except for a haircut.  Always being busy this way for so many many years, my heart is tired, but mind is calm.  I sometimes feel although the world is big, there is no place for me in society.

Some people might say JW is wallowing in self-pity, perhaps even displaying a bit of narcissism there.  Let's face it, though...good or bad, JW takes everything related to his company very personally and often wears his heart on his sleeve on the forums.  That range of emotion and earthiness coming from this self-made man are probably a big part of why Meizu fans hold him in such high regard.  No matter your view, his words are always an interesting insight into a fascinating character.

A double-dose of JW on 1/04

Another forum member asked JW to comment on the rumors he has relinquished much of his responsibility at the company..."become a figurehead" as the forum poster put it.

And here's JW's reply:

魅族公司很和谐,团队轻松愉悦的为共同的梦想而奋斗。只是我有点累,不愿与太多的人和事接触。我呆在家不怎么出门都有一年多了,可以看到公司同事和伙伴是很给力的。
以前我在公司的时候也很少干具体的事,和现在差不多,更多在大方向和个人思想追求上交流。我虽然歇着,但梦想没有停止。

Translation:

Meizu is harmonious; the team is relaxed and cheerful because of our mutual dreams and endeavors.  As for me, I'm a little tired and unwilling to be in contact with too many people or get involved with too many things.  I've stayed at home and gone out less over the past year or so, but you can see that our Meizu colleagues and partners are very capable.  Before, my responsibilities at Meizu dealt very little with specifics and it's still about the same now...giving general direction and exchanging thoughts & ideas.   Although I'm taking a break, the dream has never died.

So there you have it.  It sounds like JW is experiencing mid-career burnout.  If he ever was micro-managing the company before, it's clear he's not anymore and relying on his staff to deal with all the day-to-day stuff while he stays involved with the Big Picture.  

Perhaps he should take a sabbatical...he seems like a good candidate for a pilgrimage or perhaps a stay in a monastery to meditate on the issues that seem to be weighing on him.    

Anyway, no doubt JW is still in charge...perhaps just stepping back to recharge and consider some of the bigger issues in life.

[ Last edited by chengdude at 2012-1-5 03:51 ]

I'm waiting for the 32G version, or maybe the next one after MX,who knows what that will be!

19 12