Print

Ubuntu VP visited Meizu

Ubuntu VP visited Meizu

Canonical VP Christian Parrino visited Meizu Feb 10 and confirmed the news that meizu would produce Ubuntu phones. He also said Canonical would join hands with Meizu to attend the MWC this same month and would announce plans related to Ubuntu phones.

The first Meizu phone with Ubuntu OS is expected to meet everybody this year and it targets mainly at the international market instead of the domestic one. It's said that before the marketing Meizu will perhaps test firmware based on mx3.

However, in difference with the free Android, manufacturers have to pay licence fee of $8 to $12 each phone if they aare to have the Ubuntu built in their products. We don't know whether Meizu can take advantage of being the first partner in China and gain some privilege. Anyway let's look forward to the cooperation!

(source : http://www.ifanr.com/news/400542

I'm glad to notice some of my behind-the-curtains work payed off
And with the risk of repeating myself I have to say this: Meizu + Canonical should aim to create a Flybuntu - or similar, you get the idea... - and not use the same Ubuntu already being tested in Nexus phones/tablets. It should include the Flyme cloud services (easy) and should have an overall feeling respectful of Meizu's past Android based Flyme OS. It must include that "something else" that makes Meizu's products unique among peers.

PS - I'm still available for more although I'm sure I'm no longer needed considering the high level of discussion already in place. Even so Meizu should feel free to ask my collaboration in bridging my favorite phone and my favorite desktop OS. Anything you need you can PM me, anytime.
Galiza Nação!

I am a huge follower of ubuntu I use it on my (cracked) nexus 4 and am excited for future phones I don't know anything about meizu or flyme but please don't hybird my ubuntu I have always really liked canonical's approach to development. some cool new scope services would be nice and I supose something will have to be done with the little circle under the screen on the mx3.

[ Last edited by gregS at 2014-2-24 06:29 ]

I'm not asking for a fork, far from it. I also want Ubuntu in my next Meizu phone but at the same time I don't want to loose what I already have like the Meizu cloud services. What I'm suggesting is a specially tailored Ubuntu for Meizu phones that has both the Ubuntu advantages and and overall feeling that makes the Meizu phone stand out as much as they do already with the special-almost-for Android based Flyme OS.
Galiza Nação!